In , he succeeded Benjamin Franklin as U.
Upon his return to America, Jefferson was appointed by George Washington to become the first Secretary of State to a new nation. During the presidential election of , Thomas Jefferson was elected as the third president of the United States. During his presidency, he effectively doubled the size of the United States with the Louisiana Purchase, adding more than , square miles to the country. After his two terms as president, Jefferson retreated to his home at Monticello, in Charlottesville, and spent time pursuing his personal passions of architecture, music, reading and gardening.
Thomas Jefferson: From Shadwell to Poplar Forest: A Private Retreat
He helped to found the University of Virginia, which began classes in Unlike other colleges at the time, Jefferson ensured that the school had no religious affiliation or religious requirements for its students. Jefferson died at Monticello on July 4, , the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence.
He was 83 years old. George R.
He specializes in archaeology and human osteology, focusing on the prehistoric peoples of the American Midwest and Southeast. His recent book, The Moundbuilders , is an overview of the prehistoric societies of eastern North America. An earlier book, The Cahokia Chiefdom printed , covers the development and organizational structure of the Mississippian period society centered on the largest prehistoric mound center in the United States.
Account Options Fazer login. Volume 4. Direitos autorais.
Volume 2. All rights reserved.
No part of this publication may be reproduced in any form by any electronic or mechanical means including photocopying, recording, or information storage and retrieval without permission in writing from the publisher, except for reading and browsing via the World Wide Web. Users are not permitted to mount this file on any network servers.
Life and Labor at Monticello - Thomas Jefferson | Exhibitions - Library of Congress
Commercial publication or redistribution of these images is not permitted without the explicit consent of the Southern Historical Collection, Nicholas Philip Trist Papers at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. Cornelia J.
- Humpty Dumpty?
- Featured Letter: A Difficult Trip to Natural Bridge | Thomas Jefferson's Monticello;
- Thomas Jefferson's Poplar Forest;
- Lamant dautrefois (Harlequin Prélud) (Prelud) (French Edition)!
- The New Science of Perfect Skin: Understanding Skin Care Myths and Miracles For Radiant Skin at Any Age.
- The Jews of Capitol Hill: A Compendium of Jewish Congressional Members?
- Mother Love!
Randolph to Virginia J. Randolph Trist.
- Home - HIST Digital History - LibGuides at UVa Library.
- True Blood (2012-2013) #8;
- Thomas Jefferson: From Shadwell to Poplar Forest: A Private Retreat by Janet Shaffer!
- Prophetic Ministry: Strategic Key to the Harvest.
- The Assignment.